|“||You are V, a cyberpunk. In a world of cyber enhanced street warriors, tech-savvy netrunners and corporate life-hackers, today is your first step to becoming an urban legend.||„|
— CD Projekt Red
V is the player controlled protagonist of the upcoming video game Cyberpunk 2077. V's gender, appearance, skills and history are all customizable and have an impact on the story.
V was born December 10th, 2054 and came to Night City at the age of 23.
Birth Record and Background Check
- Main article: Character Creation
This part of Cyberpunk 2077 is a deep character customization system. The process starts with the player either selecting a preset character or creating a custom character. When creating a custom character, the player can select a gender and customize their character; customization can include depictions of breasts, buttocks, and genitalia, as well as various sizes and combinations of genitals. Options also include picking between a male or female sounding voice, while also adjusting the pitch.
The player then selects V's Lifepath history, by choosing Nomad, Street Kid, or Corporate. Depending on the choice of lifepath, V will have different options in Dialogue, Choices, and Style.
- Nomad: “Roaming the Badlands, looting scrapyards, raiding fuel depots – life on the road wasn’t easy, But growing up in a nomad clan has its perks. Honesty, integrity and a love of freedom – qualities that few in Night City possess and no amount of money can buy.”
- Nomad characters have
- Street Kid: “They say if you wanna understand the streets, you gotta live 'em. Gangs, fixers, dolls, small-time pushers – you were raised by them all. Down here the law of the jungle dictates the weak serve the strong – the only law in Night City you have yet to break."
- Street Kid characters have
- Corporate: “Few leave the corporate world with their lives – fewer still with their souls intact. You’ve been there – you’ve bent the rules, exploited secrets and weaponized information. There’s no such thing as fair game. Only winners and losers."
- Corporate characters have
In the Biometric Scan the player can modify V's face through presets.
- "Talkin' about somebody else, Jack. I'm cleaner than a cunt at a convent."
The character of V was unveiled at the E3 2018 show where CD Projekt Red developers revealed the game for the first time since 2013. Players are going to find themselves in the role of V, an up and coming cyberpunk in Night City. Rather than having a pre-defined character, similar to Geralt of Rivia from the Witcher franchise, CDPR elected to allow players to define their own character.
V will be the handle that all NPCs will refer the player character as, but players will be able to name V with a first and last name. Players will also be able to choose their future path with multiple branching quest-lines as well as flesh out their life-story (major life event, their reason for going to Night City, etc.) furthering the immersion and role-playing aspects. A broad skill system means that there are no traditional classes, so players are free to experiment with abilities and perks.
- Male V went through multiple redesigns over the course of the develop, by looking at the various trailers and gameplay footage you can see each new design CDPR went with for that time.
- CDPR designed the game so that the game's content and gameplay experience would be identical for both genders. However, V's dialogue, mannerisms, and how others treat V may vary depending on which one you pick.
- Besides the basic cyberware, V can go through the entire game without getting any cybernetic enhancements.