The first choice the player must make is V's Lifepath, or personal background. Each of the three Lifepaths offers a different introductory mission and unique dialogue options throughout the rest of the game. Note that after selecting a Lifepath and moving on to V's appearance, returning to the Lifepath selection screen will not save any appearance options the player has chosen, and force them to re-create their character.
Cyberpunk 2077 offers an extensive character creator allowing players to customize skin type, hairstyle, eyes, eyebrows, mouths, jaws, ears, 8 bits of cosmetic "cyberware" (as well as no cyberware), scars, tattoos, piercings, teeth, eye makeup, lip makeup plus off, blemishes, nipples, body tattoos, body scars, penis types, vagina option, and pubic hair.
Choosing between voices (male and female) determines what gender the player character is, and the chosen combination of voice and body type (masculine and feminine) affects which romance options are available to V.
WARNING: Be aware that no aspect of V's physical appearance, including superficial options such as hair style and tattoos, can be changed after the initial character customization process. The game does not contain any vendors, tools, or other interfaces that allow the player to change their appearance in any way.
Attributes determine V's characteristics, conversation options, and his/her proficiency at certain actions. There are five attributes in Cyberpunk 2077: Body, Intelligence, Reflexes, Technical Ability, and Cool. Each attribute governs specific skill trees hosted underneath it.
- Body increases melee damage, stamina, and health and governs the athletics, street brawler, and annihilation skill trees
- Reflexes increases the chance to dodge and get critical hits and governs the blades, handguns, and assault skill trees
- Technical Ability increases armor and governs the crafting and engineering skill trees
- Intelligence increases the efficiency of quickhacks and governs the breach protocol and quickhacking skill trees
- Cool increases crit chance, resistances, and the efficiency of stealth and governs the stealth and cold blood trees
In character creation, V is given 3 points in each attribute and an additional 7 to be allocated at the player's discretion. Attributes in the character creation menu can be increased to a maximum of 6. Attributes can be increased over the maximum in the game proper.
After attribute selection is completed, the player will begin the game.
WARNING: Be aware that attribute choices during character creation and later in the game are final and cannot be reassigned. However, perks can be reassigned using a Tabula e-Rasa, which can be purchased from any ripperdoc for €$25,000.
- While playing the game, a sixth attribute will be present in the screen with the other five, but it will look glitched and non-interactable. This "sixth" attribute doesn't appear until Johnny's psyche is added to V's.