|“||They call this war a meat-grinder. Well, you're the meat, and I'm the grinder baby!||„|
— Adam Smasher, Firestorm Shockwave
Overview[edit | edit source]
A full fledged Cyborg, with little humanity left to be seen. He is the Rival of Morgan Blackhand and dealt the killing blow to Johnny Silverhand. Adam was given a choice by Arasaka after being reduced to mush by RPG blast - either pull the plug or become a full body cyborg. With little to no options and a lack of care for his human side, he agreed and became more machine than man. Adam has no empathy for people or even his fellow employees, but Arasaka kept him alive, so he lives to repay their kind deeds to him by killing the enemies of the corporation.
Biography[edit | edit source]
2000s[edit | edit source]
Adam Smasher was a fairly typical punk, a worthless New York mook who moved into the Army when they wiped out his gang. After several years in uniform, he was discharged for bad conduct and took up being a contract gun-boy in New York.
It was a good life for Adam: His lack of squeamishness and sadistic thoroughness brought in enough jobs to keep him in guns, gear, drugs, and brutal one-night stands. But he finally went on that one job where everything fell apart. A couple of rockets turned him into a meatloaf. His buddies backpacked what was left of him out of the zone and back to the Big Apple. A mysterious corporate benefactor took note and made him the classic offer he couldn't refuse: corporate service in a metal body, or death. As if thoughts of lost humanity would bother Adam.
2010s[edit | edit source]
Seven years later since then, the new Adam Smasher, cyborg, had made quite a name for himself along the eastern seaboard. He hired out for almost any mission presented to him, as long as it wasn't an obvious suicide or double-cross. He does have one stipulation: Collateral damage and civilian casualties are a must. During this he had developed a quiet rivalry with Morgan Blackhand along the way, seeing the classic Solo as a threat to his metal-is-better-than-meat worldview. Adam had repeatedly tried to challenge him to a face-off, but Morgan only ignored him at every possible confrontation. Naturally, this snubbing had simply stoked the cyborg's psychopathic rage higher.
Meanwhile, his secret benefactors had allowed him time for freelancing. That had changed with the war; now, Adam is somewhat fully employed by his patrons, who turn out to be a branch of Arasaka security. All this was fine with him, especially since he knew that Morgan was currently working for Militech.
2020s[edit | edit source]
Fourth Corporate War[edit | edit source]
In 2022, Adam Smasher was recruited by Arasaka to fight in the Fourth Corporate War. During this time, on August 23rd, Smasher was present at what would become The Night City Holocaust at the top of Arasaka Towers. That night, as remarked by a former SpecOps operative who was present at the mission, Smasher and the rest of the Arasaka troops ambushed Johnny Silverhand and Morgan Blackhand's team. However, Silverhand distracted him, shouting and firing at him with his gun, getting injured by Smasher in the process, yet giving Shaitan an opportunity to hold Smasher back. Smasher later appeared at the top of the towers, preparing to fight Blackhand as the rest of the extraction team left on their aerodyne, with Blackhand remarking about testing Smasher's philosophy for itself shortly before the nuclear bomb detonated.
Firestorm[edit | edit source]
Adam was more than happy to fight for Arasaka because he knew Morgan Blackhand had been hired by Militech. Arasaka supplied him with everything he could ever want, including the DaiOni power armor conversion gear that turned Adam into a nearly unstoppable machine.
During the assault on the Arasaka Towers, Adam gravely injured Shaitan and killed Johnny Silverhand. Adam was left to an ambiguous fate as he was last seen fighting a fierce battle against Morgan Blackhand in the crumbling Night City Arasaka tower.
2077[edit | edit source]
Outfit[edit | edit source]
|Cyberware||Full cyborg body heavily modified Samson frame, two sets of interface plugs, chip slot, pain editors, link set (smartgun, vehicle, data), optics suite (low-lite, thermograph, Times Square Plus, targeting scope, anti-dazzle), cyberaudio (radio, tight-beam radio, and cellular links with scrambler, scanner, enhanced range, amplified hearing, sound editor, level damper), wolvers in both arms, quickchange mounts, radiation shielding, biopod. Adam cyborg typically wears SP 20 armored coveralls when he's on the job (giving him a total SP of 42).|
|Armaments||Tsunami Arms Helix|
Gallery[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- ACKERMAN GREY, D. Firestorm Shockwave. 1st ed. Berkeley CA; R.Talsorian Games Inc, 1997. (pg.22)
- "The name of the scenario is "Michiko's Night Out." It involves the granddaughter of Saburo (Kei's youngest daughter) leaving the Arasaka compound on her 18th birthday in the company of her personal bodyguard, the super solo Kenichi Zaburo (Morgan's Arasaka nemesis). While she's out barhopping in Night City, she runs into (and causes) enormous amounts of chaos, culminating in a wild fling with --get this--Adam Smasher, the cyborg. I ran this scenario for my own players and extended it over several months. It's a favorite of mine, because the external threats are far less troublesome that the ones the players bring with them to the table. And Michiko is a wonderful NPC to play--she's like Battle Angel Alita crossed with a mad Girl Genius. You will meet a somewhat older Michiko in the Time of the Red, and she might be showing up in 2077."https://www.reddit.com/r/cyberpunk2020/comments/eivvog/cp2020_mike_pondsmith_scenario_source/fcv12yx/?context=3
- Cyberpunk Red Corebook p.441: ""Then they jumped us. They got the reporter guy in the first attack. We Lobos were pinned down; I lost my brother Antonio that day. Then that big bastardo, the Smasher, he came rolling in like la tormenta. Would have killed all of us, but then Silverhand stands up and yells something at him and starts shooting. He had to know it wasn't going to do any good— even that big silver gun wasn't going to stop the Smasher, but he tried and got torn up for his trouble. But it gave Shaitan a chance to get a grip on the Smasher and hold him while we grabbed the reporter and piled for the elevator to the top. We had to leave the Rocker behind; we just ran out of time."
- Cyberpunk Red Corebook p.441: ""Here's what I still don't get. We were carrying a suitcase. They didn't tell me what it was, but it was pretty heavy. And during the fight, I looked around for that Morgan guy, the head cabrón, but he was nowhere in sight. He just took off with the suitcase and I think he headed down the stairwell. I didn't see him until we were lifting off in the extraction AV, when he and that bastardo Smasher went at each other."
- Cyberpunk Red Corebook p.121: "All right pipsqueak, time to see if Metal really is better than meat. Let's dance." Morgan Blackhand to Adam Smasher on top of Arasaka Towers just before the nuke went off."
- 2077 | Night City Wire: Episode 1 | June 25, 6 PM CEST